Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/loretoco/public_html/includes/ on line 6
Loreto Shillong official website moved to
FacebookContact UsSite Map

School Buildings

School Buildings Home

In the initial years of the Mission Fr. Otto Hoffenmuller put a request for a Catholic school for European children. In 1905 propaganda Fidei insisted upon the need of a Catholic school for pupils.

1908 : The Prefect Apostolic Fr. Becker contacted the Mother Provincial of Loreto Sisters with the proposal of an agreement with a donation of 6 acres of land and Rs. 20,000 for the buildings with a view to opening a boarding and a day school in Shillong. The responsibility for the buildings was to be borne by the Prefect Apostolic and provision was to be made for scholarships for poorer children. Construction work was begun in the autumn of 1908.

1909 – 1938 : On the 1st of May 1909, Mass was celebrated and the House and Chapel were blessed by the Prefect Apostolic. The Chapel was built for daily Mass and the Chaplain was to receive no fee for Mass or confession. On 8th May 1909, Loreto Convent School opened with a staff of 5 Sisters, 23 days scholars including boys and 3 boarders.

Other parts of the school which were constructed included :-
  • Kitchen
  • Hostel (now called Mary Ward Hostel)
  • Dhobi’s quarters
  • Godowns
  • Summer House
  • Infirmary and Teacher’s residence and
  • Parts of the school

1939: The kitchen was burnt down.

1939 - 1945: During the Second World War, the school in Shillong was taken over by the government to be used as a hospital for the injured soldiers.

1943: A disastrous fire broke out which burnt down everything except the Forbes Hall and Forbes Villa.

At the end of the Second World War, a new building was laid on the foundations of the old. The teachers’ quarters and the infirmary were constructed.

1950 : The Music room and classrooms for classes KG and I were built.

1955 - 1966: Classrooms for the Middle School and Senior School were built (Ground floor and first floor).

1972 : The rink was completely destroyed by yet another fire. It was replaced by a hall and gymnasium.

1975 : The school Hall was built.

2004: A lot of renovation work was done to maintain the beauty of the school. The new Mary Ward Hostel was also built during this time.

Notice Board

Copyright © 2012 Loreto Convent shillong. All rights reserved.

The content on this website is for public information purpose only The Loreto Convent Shillong,reserves the right to change the content of this website without any prior notice for which no claims or complains will be entertained.